I’ve been using WordPress for my blog for 5 years, and it’s been working great. Over that time, I’ve encountered some issues and have some suggestions for you.
- Use the Antispam Bee plugin to eliminate SPAM comments from your blog without annoying your users with CAPTCHA tests that us humans seem to be unable to enter correctly.
- Remove the meta name=”generator” content=”WordPress” header to prevent automated attacks against your blog.
- If you need a VBulletin like forum site, use the BBPress version of WordPress.
- Enable WPtouch iPhone Theme so that iPhone, iPod, Android, Storm and Pre users can easily view a mobile version of your WordPress blog.
- Enable the SyntaxHighlighter Evolved plugin so that syntax highlighted code blocks can be inserted directly into your blog.
- Use MarsEdit to manage your blog offline.
I used Ecto for offline editing for a long time. It’s picture uploading, especially for Thumbnails is still superior to MarsEdit, but Ecto has bugs that haven’t been fixed for ages and no update has been released for over a year.
I used re-CAPTCHA to overcome the army of web robots automatically submitting comments on my Blog, but this makes posting a comment for normal people irritating. I recently switched to Antispam Bee and haven’t gotten any new SPAM.
Occasionally an army of bots will start a distributed attack on your WordPress blog hoping for a blog that hasn’t been patched to prevent security issues. I’ve found removing the “WordPress HTTP Header” has stopped many of the bots from even looking at my blog.